They are QR codes, you can point your Smartphone at them to find out information. This particular QR code takes you straight to the library catalogue, so you can search on the move, and go to the shelves with your results (and shelf numbers) on your phone.
What is a QR code?
A QR code (short for Quick Response) is a type of barcode, readable by QR barcode readers such as Smartphones.
How do I use a QR code?
If you have a QR Reader on your Smartphone, simply select the QR Reader app, and point your phone at the QR code.
If you don’t have a QR Code Reader on your Smartphone:
Install a free app for Android phones
1. Open the "Market" application from the Android home screen.
2. Press the search button on the Android keyboard and enter 'Neoreader'. Press [ENTER].
3. Select the application named "NeoReader".
4. Press the Install button.
Install a free app for iPhones
1. Open the "App Store" application from the iPhone home screen.
2. Select "Search" a the bottom of the screen. Search for "Neoreader".
3. Touch the "Free" icon at the top of the screen. It will change to an "Install" icon.
4. Touch the "Install" icon that just appeared.
Using your QR code scanner app:
Once the application is downloaded and installed, the scanner can be launched by selecting QR code scanner icon on your phone. Point the scanner at the QR code, and follow the instructions on your phone.